Here’s a common timeline schedule we’re all used to seeing in the corporate world.
I was tasked to wrangle all this information into a digestible format. After several iterations, below was my solution. My early iterations included using solid color squares for each date in the timeline but that felt too heavy and took away from the data which was most important. I then realized that the content/data itself should define the visual spacing and overall design. With the use of typographic hierarchy and a little bit of color I was able to design a much more simplified design.
With the data I had, I was working with two different but related sets of timelines. The top took priority as it showed specific events that were critical to shipping our product on time while the bottom showed a much broader scope. My first step was to differentiate these two by removing color and using smaller type in the secondary timeline. As for the top timeline I felt the month and dates were important for people to notice quickly at a glance, so I gave them prominence with larger type.